Friday, September 23, 2005

Full Stop.



I'm not a huge Star Wars fan. I've seen maybe ten episodes of the original Star Trek. I've never even seen Babylon 5. A great deal of scifi fandom really has no special significance for me.

I am, among other things, a hard sf fan. This means I give sf writers a lot of leeway in how little characterization they can get away with. That quality never proved necessary throughout the course of Simon of Space because, you see, Cheesburger's a goddamn genius. He's written deep, meaningful scifi here that's all about the people: interesting characters, entertaining motivations and incisive sociological insights. Not to mention the Secret Math. Or the Pegasi evolutionary path. Or ... no, I won't spoil it for you.

In case you haven't been following, Simon of Space is done & I'm about as close to tears as one can get.

How do you thank a future master for creating his first classic before your very eyes? Cheeseburger Brown (you may have heard of Darth Side, perhaps) has done just that. Simon of Space is not his masterwork - after all, he wrote it on the fly - not the best he can do but, if this is any indication, we're looking at the birth of a phoenix here.

As I go now to read the final chapter, I can only say this: if you've read it already, buy the dead-tree version. The whole thing's been self-published here. If you haven't, go to the blog, fall in love with it and then buy the dead-tree version. Why? Because Cheeseburger deserves fame and money goddamit. Because I deserve to see more of his work. Because anyone who likes good fiction deserves it.

And most important of all, because I said so.

That is all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Mac said...

Thanks for the tip!

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home