Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Currently reading ...

... Dan Simmons' Ilium. Roughly halfway through the book.

Impressions so far:


- There seems to be a halfassed splice of Zelazny's Lord of Light with some insufficiently-explored singularitypunk tropes going on here. But, if I know where he's going with this (and I think I do), the ending of Olympos is going to be brilliant beyond all reason.

- The Iliad parts seem much better written and enjoyable than the scifi parts ... which is insane coming from the author of Hyperion and creator of my hero, the Shrike.

- Never read Proust, liked exactly two Shakespeare plays (haven't read enough of the sonnets to form an opinion) and yet the moravecs are my favorite characters.

- Sex with Helen of Troy = fanboy wish-fulfillment


More when I finish.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mac said...

I was looking at "Ilium" this evening @ B&N. Looks like a good one.

10:11 PM  
Blogger razorsmile said...

Indeed it is. You might see a connection between certain posts you've made and the posthuman happenings therein.

12:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home